Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Three-peat Champions!!!

For the last three years that we have lived in Saratoga Springs, we have participated in the Saratoga Splash. The first year a friend of mine told me that they gave cash prizes for the 5K and one year she was the 3rd woman and won some cash, so I thought Brandon and I could try and win some $$$.(Thanks Sinika) Our first year I finish 2nd or 3rd woman and won $20 and Brandon won the stroller division and won $20 gift card to a running store. Last year I was 5 months pregnant so I didn't finish anywhere near the front, and Brandon won the stroller division for the second year in a row. But he only one a medal! :( So this year we thought since Brandon is a lot faster, he would run in the men's division and I would run in the stroller division, then he would win us some cash, and if I placed I would get a medal. Well, Brandon finished 2nd overall and won $30 and to both mine and Brandon's surprise, (not that we didn't think I could do it, we just weren't sure what the competition would be, I mean there was a young dad with a BOB stroller...) I came in first in the stroller division! That is right...The Russell's hold the coveted first place for the stroller division 3 Years in a row!!! So, we were expecting that I would get a medal like Brandon did last year...NOPE...I won $50 cash. We walked away with $80 and a $10 gift card to Beans and Brew and free dozen donuts from a local bakery (from the raffle!) It was awesome!
Tyson even decided to run the kids race. We didn't register him for it because we weren't sure if he would make it the whole way. It was about a half mile and he ran for most of it. (I ran next to him to help encourage him) He wanted to turn back a few times, but I told him he was running with his friends and he that that was awesome. He finished second to last, but he did it. (I think he was the youngest kid running!) At the bottom of this post there is a video of Tyson's finish. (Notice how he rejects everyone in the chute!)

After the race we went to the parade. We love this parade because it is short and not a lot of people go so Tyson gets plenty of treats! Here is Tyson finding his favorite thing...rocks!

Lily checking out the loot from the parade!

We went with some friends to the carnival afterwards. Tyson and Kade had a great time in the jumping house!

Silly boys!

Kyler and Lily in the stroller waiting for Kade and Tyson to play!

Tyson and Kade in the army truck. They got to start it up and touch anything they wanted. They were in HEAVEN!

UDOT came and taught the kids safety around road construction (since we have a lot of it going on around here) They got to drive the remote control trucks and choose a prize!

Then they did the blow up obstacle course! What a fun day!


7 comments:

Requel said...

Looks like so much fun. We'll have to check it out next year. My favorite is the video. Such a funny kid!

Anonymous said...

What a great day for you! Tyson is so cute running his race! Going to grow up just like his parents!

LindseyFae* said...

That's awesome! Good for you guys that you both took first.. I'm so nervous for this weekend's race. I'm hoping I don't walk it all. You guys are awesome, and you both look great!

nana said...

I love the pics. I bought Papa some pants with big pockets in them. I told him I bought them so he could put rocks in them if he found a really good one. Like Papa, like Tyson. Oh, and congrats again!

Lisa R said...

Great job at the race! WOW! You guys rock! Tyson was so cute running his race. You should be very proud of him for going that far! :)

You should be named The Racing Russells!

Way to go!

McKay and Kallie said...

Way to go! You guys are awesome! Tyson cracks me up!

Andi said...

I always knew you were competitive down deep. Who knew it only took $20 to bring it out?