Monday, June 30, 2008

No More BINKIES!!!

Tyson has always taken a binkie. It was heaven sent when he was a baby because he had reflux and was rather colicky! He use to have it all day every day until he was about 10 months I put my foot down (well we gave in sometimes) and he could only have his binkie for naps and bedtime.
I was terrified to get rid of the binkie completely because he would find it at night or during naps and put himself back to sleep. It was great!! Well, lately his breath has been getting bad when he wakes up in the morning or from naps so we decided it was time to bite the bullet and get rid of them once and for all. The first night he cried for a little while, so being the good Mom that I am I went in and talked to him and bribed him! He was excited for the bribe and went to sleep. He has gone to bed twice now and taken two naps without the binkies!!!!!!! YAHOOOO!!!!

The second night when Brandon put him in bed, he reminded him of my bribe...
Tyson: "Dad"
Brandon: "What"
Tyson: "Tomorrow do I get to go to the store and get a racecar?"
Brandon came out from Tyson's room laughing and reminded me that Tyson gets a racecar.
This morning when Tyson woke up I went to get him (he is still in a crib.. amazing for a 2 1/2year old!)
Tyson: "Mom, I'm done snoozing, can we go to the store and get my racecar?!"
We came home with a box of 5!

8 comments:

Emily said...

What a cute kid! I love your bribe. You need to help me think of a good one for Livi. She is starting to ignore me when I ask her to do something. I thought that wasn't supposed to happen at least until she could write her own name!

Angie said...

Way to go Shay!!!! That little stink has me wrapped around his little finger, so if it were up to me I would bribe him too....well maybe I would bribe him and end up giving in at the same time. What a softie of an aunt!!!!

sinika said...

It's so hard getting the guts to get rid of the binky- But once you do it, it's the best thing ever huh? Yay Shay! (But seriously thank goodness for them because both of my boys took them!) Hope you're feeling great!

Andi said...

Looks like Tyson will end up with a car collection that could compete with what Derek and B had growing up... :)

Obviously they turned out ok, so no harm done. Especially if they keep Tyson busy!

The Bentley's said...

that is too cute!! I'm all over bribes!! and we LOVE the binky at our house too.... I took it away from dirk at 2 and he NEVER took a nap again... so i'm taking my time with coby.. he only has it for bed but someday i'll break the habit??

nana said...

I was wondering if he still had a binkie the other day. Bribes can work well. I still try to make them work on Stan and Zak!

Lisa R said...

Great job with the binki! I feel your need to keep it too! Christian was the same way! Trust me, it is much better to gradually wean them off it than have it torn from them (like when Christian knocked his tooth out, bye bye binkie AND bottle!) suddenly! Bribes are good! I like your creativity!
PS I'm surprised how much blogging you've done. I came in wanting to see if you'd updated and you had a ton of posts! Way to go Shay!

Lynette said...

Bribes are the way to go, and they never let you forget what you promised them either! :) He's such a cute boy. Boys and their cars.